What is Back Pain?
It’s one of the most common ailments in the country with nearly four out of five New Zealanders complaining of back pain at some point in their life. Back pain is the second highest reason for doctor visits and sits just behind the common cold as the number two reason for time taken off work.
Back pain can be unbearable and sharp, brought on by sudden injury or strain, but it can also slowly build over time due to age or poor posture. Sometimes it will last just a few days, while other times, you might experience pain for weeks or months. There’s so much variation and so many different causes that it’s unwise to look for a ‘quick fix’ solution to your back pain.
If you are suffering, it is important to remember that your back pain isn’t the problem in and of itself; it’s merely the symptom of an underlying issue. At Velca, we look deeper to evaluate the true cause of your pain before figuring out the best way to bring you relief.
The Cause of Back Pain
While strains, poor posture and injury are common reasons for the symptom, sometimes abnormalities and issues with organs in the abdomen can present themselves through pain in the lower back – this is known as ‘referred pain’.
These are just some of the common causes of back pain:
- Lumbar (or lower back) strain or sprain is the most common cause of episodic pain that can last up to three or four weeks. Lower back strain or sprain occurs when muscle or ligament fibres are torn or abnormally stretched. Nearly everybody will experience this form of back strain in their life from heavy lifting, a sporting injury or obesity. While usually felt after an injury or from accidentally torn muscle fibres, recurrent lumbar muscle strain can point to a more severe problem like poor posture, spinal dysfunction or an unhealthy, inactive lifestyle.
- A herniated disc occurs when the soft cushion between the vertebrae of the spine slips out of place. ‘Pinched nerves’ and numbness in the back are other common symptoms associated with this diagnosis.
- Spinal stenosis is more commonly found as we age when the spinal cord becomes constricted. Spinal stenosis usually affects those aged 50 and over; as the space around the spine shrinks, numbness, tingling and pain is often felt.
- Sciatica describes inflammation of the sciatic nerve which is formed from the bottom of the spinal cord. Sciatica can be caused by a herniated disc or other irritations and can come on quite suddenly.
Back Pain Relief
Whether lasting a day or a month, back pain can be unbearable. Getting that relief becomes your number one focus and it can be hard to concentrate on anything else.
Our chiropractic care and massage therapy can help adjust and realign your back to alleviate pain. Massage is a fantastic relief method for the short term, but keeping you healthy and reducing muscle pain for the long term is a more involved process that our professional team is equipped to help you with. When caused by poor posture or obesity, effective pain relief means working with you to straighten up and prevent the suffering from returning.
Up to 80% of people will experience back pain without any other associated health concerns in their lifetime. Their symptoms may disappear within a couple of days on their own, but, for nearly half of these people whose pain is caused by poor posture or an unhealthy lifestyle, their symptoms are likely to return. Maintaining a healthy, active way of life and working on the habits that cause this pain is key to ensuring that you don’t experience it again. We aren’t interested in ‘cheap fixes’ – at Velca, we want to create a healthier you; free from pain and ready to enjoy life.
When should I see a health professional?
While most back pain is caused by strain or injury, it’s important that you get any new or long-lasting symptoms evaluated by a health professional. Our job is to help you to be free from pain; when chiropractic care or massage therapy isn’t suitable we readily refer clients to other appropriate healthcare professionals.
These warning signs indicate that you may need an immediate evaluation:
- Persistent pain lasting longer than a few days
- Difficult or loss of bowel or bladder control
- Back pain keeping you awake at night
- Your back pain is accompanied by fever, chills, sweats or other infections-like symptoms
Our health professionals will go through your medical history and perform a physical exam to determine the exact cause of your pain. This acute back pain can last a lot longer than strain or injury and it is important to find the cause for permanent relief.
The majority of back pain and suffering that is caused by injury or strain can be relieved through our unique Velca Method.
Correct – Relax – Strengthen
At Velca, we approach pain with a three-step method that aims to correct, relax and strengthen the body – supporting good health and providing permanent solutions rather than temporary fixes. Through a mix of chiropractic and massage therapies alongside a strong focus on strength and fitness training, you’ll find that the Velca Method is by far the most effective to ease suffering and inspire healthy living.
Chiropractic - Through chiropractic care, we aim to correct spinal dysfunction, bad posture and habits that lead to pain. The chiropractic services we offer are the first step to identifying problems, alleviating suffering and breaking free from pain.
Massage Therapy – Helping you to relax, loosen the muscles and find relief, massage therapy is our second step that improves circulation and works pain out of the body. Relaxing is a key part of eliminating pain while it paves the way to improve your overall health and well being.
Personal strength and fitness training - Fortifying the body through personal fitness and better health, our fitness programs are tailored to you to help strengthen the body and prevent pain from returning. We want to enable you to break free from pain to live a healthier, more enjoyable life.
Visit the Velca Health Centre in Howick for a holistic approach to your well being. We don’t just offer chiropractic or massage services, we work to better your life in every aspect by improving your health and preventing pain from returning. Break free from pain – call us today to find relief through massage therapy, chiropractic care, physiotherapy, nutrition, personal training, and a positive focus on fitness and health.